Time for a little humility.
The relative to whom I have been feeling superior, and playing to all stereotypes of the smug "intelleckshool 'leet", would never have gotten herself into the embarassing position I have vis a vis Verizon, and she definitley would never have misplaced (probably) her checkbook, only realizing this on rent day.
I could plead arty absentminded professorness and still feel a bit superior - You know, I have all these weighty things to think about, I cannot concern myself with earthly trivia like the commoners - but really I am just messy and fear call centers.
Another thing I realized last night, as I was avoiding work/household tasks and wallowing in melancholy, is that it's too easy to turn into a weird hermit type person when you live alone, keep odd hours, are by nature introverted, and are sometimes depressed. Maybe if I lived in a commune I would be more cheerful. Although I would still have to have alone time or I'd chew someone's leg off. It's a fine balance. I noticed this when I went to Ecuador with my cool-nerd classmates; at one point we were stuck in a grimy bus station and we all took out our books and companionably ignored each other.
Sad news this morning from Boomy; a grim reminder that even tiny Hungarian grandmas are not indestructable. So my heart is going out to Boomy and her brother today as they are submerged in creepy areas of Southwestern Pennsylvania with relatives whose craziness is legendary. I will be buying her a martini as soon as she returns and crawls out from under the bed.
The relative to whom I have been feeling superior, and playing to all stereotypes of the smug "intelleckshool 'leet", would never have gotten herself into the embarassing position I have vis a vis Verizon, and she definitley would never have misplaced (probably) her checkbook, only realizing this on rent day.
I could plead arty absentminded professorness and still feel a bit superior - You know, I have all these weighty things to think about, I cannot concern myself with earthly trivia like the commoners - but really I am just messy and fear call centers.
Another thing I realized last night, as I was avoiding work/household tasks and wallowing in melancholy, is that it's too easy to turn into a weird hermit type person when you live alone, keep odd hours, are by nature introverted, and are sometimes depressed. Maybe if I lived in a commune I would be more cheerful. Although I would still have to have alone time or I'd chew someone's leg off. It's a fine balance. I noticed this when I went to Ecuador with my cool-nerd classmates; at one point we were stuck in a grimy bus station and we all took out our books and companionably ignored each other.
Sad news this morning from Boomy; a grim reminder that even tiny Hungarian grandmas are not indestructable. So my heart is going out to Boomy and her brother today as they are submerged in creepy areas of Southwestern Pennsylvania with relatives whose craziness is legendary. I will be buying her a martini as soon as she returns and crawls out from under the bed.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home