Tuesday, November 21, 2006

The Many Meanings of Big Hair

Hello loyal readers!

Apologies for my dereliction of blog duty but I have been soaking up the cultchah of Oxford (drinking) and the sights of London (in pubs) and surrounding Olde Englishe Countryside (very old pubs).

I want to tell you about a commercial, or advert, I saw on TV, or telly, the other evening. I think it was BBC4. A pretty, slim, olive-skinned young woman with a penumbra of dark curly hair falls as she walked along the sidewalk, or pavement, in a busy metropolis and twists her ankle. No one responds in any way. Oh the alienation of urban life! She hobbles pathetically along, with no one offering the poor girl any assistance whatsoever. But indeed, it is the way in the cold, hard city.

She goes into a flat where a male person (boyfriend? flatmate? unclear) is lounging on the couch. He proceeds to ignore her low moans of agony. She hobbles to the bathroom where she picks up the Remington Hair Straightener, rather than an Ace bandage or an ice pack. She uses said Remington Hair Straightener to iron her enormous frizzy mass of curls into a smooth, sleek do reminiscent of a wet seal pelt.

Newly coiffed, our hobbling heroine limps into the living room, or parlour, where the male on the sofa leaps to his feet and gathers her into his arms, cooing with care and concern over her poor ankle. He carries her to the street, where a series of chevaliers pass her from street to taxi to hospital, where a hunky doctor takes one look at her swollen hoof and seal pelt and kicks another patient out of bed to make room for her and her tamed mane.

Ten points if you can tell me the moral of this story.

Twenty points if you can tell me why this ad is problematic; thirty if you allude to historical precendent. Thirty-five if you have a big 'fro (Af- or Jew- or other).

Minus fifty if you say, "But I like curly hair, so I don't see what the problem is, it's funny!" Minus one hundred if you say that and you are a dude, especially a dude with straight ass Anglo style hair. But seventy-five points if you can make a serious analysis of why "porn hair" is what it is and what that might mean in a larger cultural metanarrative kinda thing.

Go!

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish my curly barnet did keep the guys from helping me. I once tried to change a tyre on my car about a year ago and I spent more time telling men that I was ok, and didn't need any help then actually changing the wheel.

I gave up and let one do it in the end as it was easier that way (I also got the feeling I was doing him the favour).

PS we don't say parlour - living or sitting room is just fine, or lounge.

7:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's called "social commentary." The producers of the commercial feel the same way you do. By the way: it's only funny if you're not a chauvinist. Anyone guy who would really do that wouldn't understand the commercial. Since they don't want to waste ad money, you should assume that most people think it's funny, and therefore most people would never act in such a way. The only people who would get angry about such a commercial are missing the point.

5:29 PM  
Blogger Joolya said...

Thanks Steve. I also enjoy irony. See above and below.

7:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What can we use the points for? I'm pretty sure I can score the big 75 but want to know if there's a big stuffed animal in it for me at the end.

9:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ps. Stevetroll, the ad works because it's ironic AND true. It strikes at the chords of cultural views on women as only worthwhile when sexied up, and at the same time it mocks it with a nudge and a wink. I can't tell you how many times I and my curly-haired friends have been told we're "brave" and/or "cute" for wearing our hair short and curly. "Brave" because we're daring to present ourselves in a way "everyone" knows in not attractive to men, and "cute" because only a little kid unschooled in the ways of of the world would purposely present themselves in such a way.

9:07 AM  
Blogger Joolya said...

Note that the big hair aesthetic also connotates (historically) a variety of "cheap and easy" sexual identity, both in the porntastic and the ethnic (Black, Jewish) sense.

11:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, so the "porn hair" is the big curly hair, and therefore more sexy?

I guess I'm just not one of those guys. I find all hair to be a problematic nuisance. I worry about anyone who spends time on there hair doing anything but keeping it out of her/his eyes. I know that your point extends beyond hair, though.

I'm sure there is some evolutionary scientific explanation for why men prefer whatever hair you seem to think they prefer (which is still unclear to me). For example, men prefer large breasts and wide hips, and this makes evolutionary sense. How can you fault men for this?

1:00 PM  
Blogger Joolya said...

steve, man, it's not all about you dudes. the point i'm making here has nothing to do with evolution; it has to do with cultural valuation of one type of the Anglo-Saxon model of feminity over the "ethnic" model.
IF you don't get it you don't get it. No points for you.

6:15 AM  
Blogger Rainbow Party Lyrics said...

now, i didn't see the commercial so i can't say for sure, but it sounds to me like one of those ads that is trying to win the "respect" of both sides of an argument, all the better to profit from both. the ad pushes a product that perhaps many view as societally backwards (like a product that reinforces the idea that only straight hair is beautiful), and so as to not completely alienate everyone, it drenches itself in a sly irony so that the other side of the argument can go "wow, they're socially aware!" and in the end, the company behind it wins.

is that anywhere near what you saw in the ad? i am just guessing, based on ads i've seen.

1:34 PM  
Blogger Joolya said...

not a bad analysis, h.w. i find it fascinating that this whole anglo-hair thing does persist.

1:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why was non-Anglo ("nonglo") hair so popular in the eighties? Anyone?

1:55 AM  
Blogger Joolya said...

Maybe concurrent with the fad for extra super suntans? but then ethnic got uncool again?

4:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Totally love chicks with curly hair. Thinking about one at the moment actually.

12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i find this offensive.

this is exactly the problem in modern society. the emergence of strong anglo cultures determining beauty and socially accepted physical qualities.its sick
\
i have curly hair and would not have life any other way

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Term Papers said...

I guess I'm just not one of those guys. I find all hair to be a problematic nuisance. I worry about anyone who spends time on there hair doing anything but keeping it out of her/his eyes. I know that your point extends beyond hair.

6:51 AM  
Anonymous Term papers said...

ANOTHER top quality post Thanks for Posting !

8:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home