Monday, September 05, 2005

Labor Day and I am indeed laboring.

It took me ages to get into lab today. First I turned off the alarm - kept getting annoying songs on WERS - and went back to sleep. Then I wrote a big long post at 1369 (my home away from home coffee shop) but the stupid thing crashed when I went to post it! This made me cranky. I went to the bus stop and had, I think, just missed my bus. I checked the holiday schedule (Labor Day counts as a minor holiday, no?) and had to wait another 35 minutes. I sat there for a while reading and then went across the street for another beverage and a roll, as well as to get away from the garbage in the sun smell and assorted "colorful characters" at the bus stop. As I was paying my bus came and went. I should have just ridden my bike.

The Man wants me to give him an outline for a paper in a week! I have never written a paper before. Although I have seen papers being written and read lots and lots of them, the prospect of an actual paper with my name on it, that I wrote, seems like a fantasy. Might be a bit of solipsism, too, in that until I have shown that I can make something happen, I'm not really sure it can happen. Like in lab, I don't actually believe I can do anything until I've fucked up a few times and have found all the ways in which a thing can be fucked up and still give the same results.

Sigh: I will never recreate the eloquence of the Lost Post from this morning, so I will not even try. Instead I will just list some people who rock.

1) Steve Carell. He is the cutest. I saw The 40-yr-old Virgin this weekend and although it was too long I thought it was very funny.

2) Jon Stewart. Speaking of TDS. I heard that he offered to take a pay cut to ensure that his staff of writers and researchers got health benefits, which Comedy Central doesn't give any other writers. (Defining them as "freelancers", which is bullshit.)

3) My friend Naomi, who is making a documentary about balloon twisting with a woman who has the above dream job of Daily Show researcher.

4) Rebecca Traister, about whom I have composed an ode. Ahem . . .

Ode To Rebecca Traister

I like Rebecca Traister.
I wish she were my Friendster friend.
If I had a party, and she were my friend
I would totally invite her.
I like to read her stories
On Salon.com and elsewhere.
They remind me of what my friends and I would write
If we were professional journalists,
Like what's-her-name in Zoolander,
Only not bulimic.

(Snap snap snap snap snap . . . )

5) David Grinspoon, whose book I am reading right now. It's called Lonely Planets and is about the possibility of alien life. It's a bit on the chatty side, but he's pretty adorable.

Okay - back to spin coating. Spin coating is a necessary evil in my life.

Dude, science is stupid.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home