Hedgehogs In My Bra, Bra, Bra!*
Last night I dreamed that I was being menaced by hedgehogs. I was there with Brookburg. I showed her a spider web which was so pretty I couldn't bear to remove the spider. She pulled back a curtain and we saw this spiny thing that looked like a sea urchin, but was actually a hedgehog. We didn't want to grab it in case it bit us, but then the whole house was just crawling with cute but vicious varmints! One in particular was menacing me and I tried to beat it away with a sock. (And then I woke up.)
What does that mean?
I went down to Newbury Street yesterday to try and buy things on sale and ended up with several expensive bras that make my boobs look terrific but are just boring beige. I didn't realize, when I was a flat-chested young whippersnapper, that having bigger boobs would mean having to buy boringer bras. They're quite grown-up looking bras. Oh well.
After being a big fat consumer all day I felt wiped out and a little gross. I came home and watched The Paper Chase, which I had bought at the video store that was closing down at home. It's about this dude at Harvard Law School who is basically a big dork but has a cute smile and a pile of hair that puts Boomy's dad's 1973 law school hair to shame.
I remember liking this movie when I was a kid, before I actually came to Hahhhhvahhhhhd myself, but this time around two things struck me. It was still an enjoyable film, but my reactions were as follows:
1) I am not working hard enough!!! I don't work nearly as hard as I should, at least compared to crazy fictionalized law students in the early 70s. Ah!!!
2) Men suck, especially at Harvard Law School in the early 70s.**
The whole "romance" of the film is based on Big Hair Guy rabbiting on about himself and how hard law school is to this rather cool girl who he is shagging basically because he can't shag her dad, the brilliant contracts law professor. Lindsay Wagner, you can do better than this self-important tool! Also, there was only one notable female law student and none of the guys who were the main characters ever even mentioned her, let alone invited her to their holy study group. Meh. The elemental chauvanism was ridiculous. Let that be a lesson to the young whippersnappers of today who think feminism is passe! That was a mere generation ago, chicas.
Anyway, on that note, have a Happy New Year, mis amigos y amigas. Maybe 2006 will be a less weird year.
*Sung to the tune of "Mammals In My House".
**Springy and Brand, you don't suck. Neither do the Dondre or Mister Ethyl or Brother of Boomy. Or Matt or Matt or Matt. Or a few others who I am forgetting to mention. But you guys are the exceptions, and were not in law school in 1973.
What does that mean?
I went down to Newbury Street yesterday to try and buy things on sale and ended up with several expensive bras that make my boobs look terrific but are just boring beige. I didn't realize, when I was a flat-chested young whippersnapper, that having bigger boobs would mean having to buy boringer bras. They're quite grown-up looking bras. Oh well.
After being a big fat consumer all day I felt wiped out and a little gross. I came home and watched The Paper Chase, which I had bought at the video store that was closing down at home. It's about this dude at Harvard Law School who is basically a big dork but has a cute smile and a pile of hair that puts Boomy's dad's 1973 law school hair to shame.
I remember liking this movie when I was a kid, before I actually came to Hahhhhvahhhhhd myself, but this time around two things struck me. It was still an enjoyable film, but my reactions were as follows:
1) I am not working hard enough!!! I don't work nearly as hard as I should, at least compared to crazy fictionalized law students in the early 70s. Ah!!!
2) Men suck, especially at Harvard Law School in the early 70s.**
The whole "romance" of the film is based on Big Hair Guy rabbiting on about himself and how hard law school is to this rather cool girl who he is shagging basically because he can't shag her dad, the brilliant contracts law professor. Lindsay Wagner, you can do better than this self-important tool! Also, there was only one notable female law student and none of the guys who were the main characters ever even mentioned her, let alone invited her to their holy study group. Meh. The elemental chauvanism was ridiculous. Let that be a lesson to the young whippersnappers of today who think feminism is passe! That was a mere generation ago, chicas.
Anyway, on that note, have a Happy New Year, mis amigos y amigas. Maybe 2006 will be a less weird year.
*Sung to the tune of "Mammals In My House".
**Springy and Brand, you don't suck. Neither do the Dondre or Mister Ethyl or Brother of Boomy. Or Matt or Matt or Matt. Or a few others who I am forgetting to mention. But you guys are the exceptions, and were not in law school in 1973.


4 Comments:
That's quite a string of Matts you've got there. Maybe I should change my name to something less common...
Men don't suck. Mostly I find they're quite nice. It's only people's lazy assumptions about gender roles that suck - and a regrettable culture among some of macho and domineering behaviour, which goes unchallenged (and is thus reinforced) by many women. I know you're being slightly tongue-in-cheek about this, but unreconstructed bizarre-os like "Christian" conservatives are wacky extremists - and by suggesting that all men are out to shag and fight all the time I think you exaggerate a minority's importance and power. And perhaps you add to it by identifying them as the enemy. (viz. Al Qaeda.)
That is not to say that instances of nastiness shouldn't be challenged immediately etc etc.
Happy New Year! Absolutely agree about the weirdness of 2005, btw.
Yes, lazy assumptions about gender roles suck. Not all men. Apologies for sloppiness.
However the patriarchal culture that gives us the old boys club mentality of HLS circa 1973 does suck. Thankfully, this movie serves to highlight how much progress has been made in the last 30-odd years concerning the erosion of gender roles, the inclusion of women in higher education, etc.
But we're still in a place where feminine youth and beauty are culturally more important than intelligence or skills - at least in the mass media popular culture, but that spills over onto all of us who watch TV or read magazines or see films.
It's less bad than it used to be. So that's good. And women are complicit in this to a certain extent.
But why might this be?
The more I read Twisty the more I agree with her, even though I don't walk around feeling oppressed. (I just feel fat.)
Perhaps if you enlist my services, I could splatter my dong's goo several times on your boobs whilst you wear your lab coat. Or maybe on your face.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home