Sunday, December 11, 2005

New Thesis Topic

Question of the day: Does one have to be insane to embark upon an academic research career, or does academic research actually induce mental instability?

Or do people who decide to pursue PhDs* have certain predispositions to insanity that can be exacerbated by prolonged exposure to academic research?

Discuss.

*Or any advanced degree, such as architecture, which requires a thesis/dissertation and which you have to "just love doing" so much that you pretend not to mind the ridiculously long hours and ridiculously low pay.

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

by experience, i'm pretty sure that it's door number three: "people who decide to pursue PhDs have certain predispositions to insanity that can be exacerbated by prolonged exposure to academic research"

at least on a personal level, that's how i feel about my mental health/research balance (or lack thereof)

6:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

totally agree

7:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thrusting young, shy and introverted people into a very competitive environment with little professional support, in which you are supposed to compete with those who have twenty or thirty years more experience than you = recipe for mental instability. So I suppose I would go for option no. 1.

9:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I mean option no. 2.

9:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS. Hi Brookburg and Boomy! See you soon.

10:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PPS. Hi Brand Ave. too! Didn't they say that if you weren't prepared to "live" for your subject there was no point doing it at your school? Nutters. It seems as though we can add ridiculous institutional pressure as option #4.

4:12 PM  
Blogger Joolya said...

Maybe ridiculous institutional pressure is inherently part of the whole "acadmemic research" thing, which would make #4 a sub-heading of #2.
There's a lot of research fields in which it is tacitly acceptable to be a huge asshole so long as people say about you: "Well, but he/she is a really good _______."
Let us all privately ruminate on examples of these people that we know from our own lives.

5:27 PM  
Blogger EthylBenzene said...

Yeah. Also add in professors who claim to have your best interests in mind, but don't even really remember who you are half the time.

9:01 AM  
Blogger Joolya said...

Or profs who you have to email seventeen times and stalk to get them to talk to you or read your papers or attend your meetings.

9:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i see a lot of my own worries here, although i usually eschew private rumination in favor of excessive complaining, which is much more cathartic.

either way, clearly we are a group in need of an awareness bracelet. let's get some printed.

http://www.shanrene.com/custom-wristband-tool.php

but what should it say? "anxiety awareness" "live nervous"? "PhDs are for pussies?"

10:32 AM  
Blogger Joolya said...

Not awareness bracelets - SURVIVOR bracelets!

11:22 AM  
Blogger EthylBenzene said...

Yay! I want one! Or profs who you have to email seventeen times to try to find out what to do next because something has gone horribly wrong, and then when you do talk to them, give you no information and then hustle you out of the room because they are very busy and important and then yell at you later when you done anything after things have gone horribly wrong.

2:23 PM  
Blogger Joolya said...

I have an idea for a greige magnetic car ribbon:
"Five Years ABD - And Lovin' It!!"

6:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I blame the liberal elite.

9:55 AM  
Blogger Joolya said...

You know, eliteness plus stress and poverty is kind of a bum deal. We totally deserve ribbons and bracelets. (Although it is technically our own faults; we could all be lawyers or i-bankers.)

12:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well poverty in the sense that we can't buy Porsches, and stress in the sense that we're congenital worriers anyway. You're right though, lawyers get to have richness to counteract the stress. Not fair.

10:56 AM  
Blogger EthylBenzene said...

Springy-- Word to that. I have a "real" job, and I worry every single day, sometimes to the extent that I can't sleep. Ugh. Where do you think I got that from?!

4:20 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

hmmm...I thought #3 was a conglomeration of #s 1 and 2. In which case I would go with #3.

http://en.thinkexist.com/quotes/like/there_is_a_fine_line_between_genius_and_insanity/217694/

2:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home