My Advisor: Not Actually Scary
I've been a bit cranky about grad school, lab, science, etc., lately so I wanted to tell a quick good story for once.
Everyone's advisor has their own special quirks. My PI, for example, does not tread softly on the feelings of his lab-offspring when we give presentations. Generally it's not something to take personally. He means well; it's just tough love. On the other hand, it's also pretty obvious - to me, anyway - when someone is getting on his nerves. In these cases his constructive criticism can take on a slightly different tenor.
As a result my advisor can be kind of scary. He also has a rather intimidating looking beard.
I had been dreading meeting with him, since all the experiments I've done in the last few weeks have fucked up in various ways, and I've been feeling low on and off for personal reasons that I won't go into.
We were supposed to meet briefly on Wednesday and I was not looking forward to it. I didn't want him to think I was incompetent or a slacker, but I also didn't want him to think I was an unstable person who cracks under stress. There was also the possibilty of the dreaded Pep-Talk if, God-forbid, I started to cry.
Prior to out scheduled meeting I went next door, to my very cheerful academic advisor, to ask him a "hypothetical question in confidence" about how much sharing of personal issues was appropriate with one's PI. He was quite helpful and supportive, said that he would want to know if there was something going on with one of his lab people, and said I could talk to him any time.
I went in to meet with my PI - after splashing cold water on my face - and after he proffered the anti-viral tissues we wound up having a veritable heart to heart about science, life, relationships, family, lab . . . I realized that even though he can be kind frightening sometimes he really does mean well (and seems to like me and not think I am stupid, whew). He even advocated taking time off if I was feeling burned out, or doing something else for a little while in the lab, and expressed confidence in my abilities as a grad student and adult person in the world.
It was a huge relief. I feel extremely lucky to have chosen an advisor who, for all of his quirks and even though I'd like to throttle him when he edits my work, is actually simpatico and concerned that I do well.
I might kill him if I were his secretary, of course. But right now I am feeling the love.
Everyone's advisor has their own special quirks. My PI, for example, does not tread softly on the feelings of his lab-offspring when we give presentations. Generally it's not something to take personally. He means well; it's just tough love. On the other hand, it's also pretty obvious - to me, anyway - when someone is getting on his nerves. In these cases his constructive criticism can take on a slightly different tenor.
As a result my advisor can be kind of scary. He also has a rather intimidating looking beard.
I had been dreading meeting with him, since all the experiments I've done in the last few weeks have fucked up in various ways, and I've been feeling low on and off for personal reasons that I won't go into.
We were supposed to meet briefly on Wednesday and I was not looking forward to it. I didn't want him to think I was incompetent or a slacker, but I also didn't want him to think I was an unstable person who cracks under stress. There was also the possibilty of the dreaded Pep-Talk if, God-forbid, I started to cry.
Prior to out scheduled meeting I went next door, to my very cheerful academic advisor, to ask him a "hypothetical question in confidence" about how much sharing of personal issues was appropriate with one's PI. He was quite helpful and supportive, said that he would want to know if there was something going on with one of his lab people, and said I could talk to him any time.
I went in to meet with my PI - after splashing cold water on my face - and after he proffered the anti-viral tissues we wound up having a veritable heart to heart about science, life, relationships, family, lab . . . I realized that even though he can be kind frightening sometimes he really does mean well (and seems to like me and not think I am stupid, whew). He even advocated taking time off if I was feeling burned out, or doing something else for a little while in the lab, and expressed confidence in my abilities as a grad student and adult person in the world.
It was a huge relief. I feel extremely lucky to have chosen an advisor who, for all of his quirks and even though I'd like to throttle him when he edits my work, is actually simpatico and concerned that I do well.
I might kill him if I were his secretary, of course. But right now I am feeling the love.


7 Comments:
Take a lookit this. I was only a naïve 19 when I began… and fulfilled my novel with a plethora of savvy, sassy, avant-garde, Phat-Boy-benevolence, got-‘Led-Zepplin’-legs-Christianity from a severely, head-injured-Catholic you might call crazy. That’s totally cool… but, yet, who ever said YOU were sane? Touché? What you’ll come to realize in this flamboyant, indelible script is a world beyond our own which is beyond glamorous: Fulla short-stories, poetry, prayers, quotes, hardcore-heartbreaking-hilarity, aggressive conundrums, Salvador-Dali-homily, and a fantastic, buxom belief which helps U.S. ‘rise-above’ this Finite Existence. If the TRUTH frightens you, friend, take a lookit my novel. You’ll definitely find solace. Out in January: Call my CPA, Eddie Foree, at 1-785-266-9111. GOD BLESS YOU! Be at peace.
what the fuck was the above comment? thoughts, loyal readers? should i leave it up for comedy value?
Wow! It looks like English ... it sounds like English ... Is it some Lewis Carroll jaberwocky thing or what?
Hmm, actually that was me. I got a bit confused about the security word.
"Call my CPA"???
I will call Springy "Tvspfvov" from now on. Isn't that a character in The Brothers Karamazov?
If Led Zeppelin-leg Christianity were open for all, I would totally be into it.
wow. sublime. led zepplin leg, indeed.
in other news, hurrah for happy talk with advisor!!!
and huge public thanks to the amazing joolya for rescuing me from my own graduate school hell-sprial yesterday and taking me to sample expensive skin care products!!!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home