Friday, December 02, 2005

The Solipsism-Based Community

Sam Alito was a member of the conservative alumni group Concerned Alumni of Princeton, which he boasted about in a 1985 job application in an attempt to weasel his way into the Reagan administration, apparently. The CAP's publication ("Prospect") lamented the introduction of women and minorities into Princeton's hallowed halls. (See this link.)

Alito can not, however, remember anything about having been a member of this group in any way. (See this link.)

Though Alito conceded in the judiciary committee statement that the "document I recently reviewed reflects that I was a member of the group in the 1980s," he said: "Apart from that document, I have no recollection of being a member, of attending meetings, or otherwise participating in the activities of the group. The group has no current officers from whom more information may be obtained."

What is with the conservatives and the memory problems? Was Reagan's Alzheimer's contageous in the 80s? Does Arlen Specter just have that effect on people?

More importantly, can I use this defense in my daily life?

"Mom, I have no recollection of ever having used your emergency credit card to purchase shoes, let alone at a place called Berk's in Cambridge, MA, on December 2nd."

"But, Joolya, I am looking at the statement and it says $49.99 was spent at Berk's in Cambridge, MA, on December 2nd. I know I wasn't in Cambridge on December 2nd. And, hey, did I ever mention shoes?"

"This is just ridiculous. Apart from alleged transaction on that alleged document, I have no memory of ever having been to Berk's whatever-store, attending a pre-Christmas sales event there, or otherwise participating in footwear purchases of any kind. You have no witnesses who can attest to my having been there on that day! And I've had these shoes for a year!"

But, gosh darn it, my mother is a member of the annoying "reality-based community", and she fails to understand that if I "can't remember" something then it didn't happen.

I live in a place I like to call the solipsism-based community. So remove your pesky "documents" and "evidence" from my sight, silly people. They prove nothing. You may or may not even exist. [Sound of deep inhalation.]

Besides, I only bought those shoes to impress the Reagan adminstration, not because I really wanted them. Oh, wait, I mean if I had bought those shoes that's why I would have bought them. I don't think I did, but hey, since it seems to be so important to you, I can "play along" with your crazy little "notions" if that makes you "feel better" . . .

P.S. Mom, I didn't really buy any shoes with your credit card.

P.P.S. I may have bought some groceries, though. I can't remember.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

haaaaa

12:24 AM  
Blogger Hammer said...

Hey Joolya!

I appreciated your critique of my comment on ABB's blog! Subtext is important. As a gay scientist/activist/musician/writer I realize the importance of dissecting culture. I realize the importance of not be infected by cultural imperfection.

All I want is peace. I hate the fucking movie King Kong too! But, working for peace, for me, goes beyond analysis of a 1930s film.

anyway, thanks again for the feedback. Hey...are you in science as well?

3:30 PM  
Blogger Joolya said...

I sure am. Hip-deep in science. Hope my comment wasn't too bitchy re: King Kong, but I seem to have lost my DNA and my cells are looking all sickly. So that's my subtext. ;)
As a writer, I'm willing to bet that you don't sit down and try to put symbols into your work. I don't, anyway; sorry if I presume too much. Like, when I have tried to do this as I write it comes out false and corny. ("Hm, the color yellow shall represent . . ." Cheese!) But when I go back to something I have written later the recurring symbols are obvious - they welled up from my unconscious and just felt right.
So, I doubt the King Kong people thought they were making a film about racial issues. But the fact that that film is what it is says that on some level the writers, and by extension they culture, were wrestling with precisely those issues.
We can infer this because we know what the climate was in America at the time (racist, fearful of integration, sexist and concerned with sexual identities). That it means what it means to ABB also says something about her and our own time period, as Jackson's treatment of the film will say something about what's going on in his reality . . .
I don't mean to suggest that there is one message or one theme, of course! If that were the case it would be a crappy film. Like anything, it can be enjoyed (or not) on many levels. On level, though, is that it taps into some kind of collective unconscious archetypes that have symbolic power.
I think it's quite important to explore the unconscious of the culture as it is on a personal lever - otherwise we are blind to our own motivations.
What kind of science do you do? Read on, I think I go into mine someplace . . .
Cheers and nice to meet you!

5:12 PM  
Blogger Joolya said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:16 PM  
Blogger Joolya said...

The above two posts refer to this link!
http://angryblackbitch.blogspot.com/2005/12/king-kong.html

5:18 PM  
Blogger Joolya said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:18 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

Thank you for learning me a new word. So "lips schism" is a mouth? Makes perfect sense.

2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm seriously interested in getting in touch with others researching solipsism. Please, contact me. I'm begging you. My e-mail is floppy_8488@hotmail.com Please contact me.

10:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I left my e-mail above. I feel completely misundertood here. Plase contact me.

10:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I googled my e-mail and came across this. It's my e-mail, but I dodn't post that.

12:27 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home