Fetus Skeletons Help Me Concentrate
Spending quality time in the little "pod" in the Med School library today with papers about a certain GTPase and endocytic vesicle recycling. It's actually working. I love the pods.
This library also has a collection of deformed fetus skeletons, really enormous kidney stones (ouch!), the skull of Phineas Gage - the unfortunate railroad worker who got spiked through the head, resulting in a drastic personality change which inspired modern neuroscience - and even the spike that spiked old P.G. It's engraved. Boomy can tell you about how mad the Victorians were for collecting things, especially icky things like tumors and kidney stones and two-headed fetuses. There's one fetus skeleton here that looks like the Jack on a playing card. Seriously.
I'd also like to give a shout-out to ABB. If she is ever in Boston I hereby offer to buy her a vodka martini and a burger!
This library also has a collection of deformed fetus skeletons, really enormous kidney stones (ouch!), the skull of Phineas Gage - the unfortunate railroad worker who got spiked through the head, resulting in a drastic personality change which inspired modern neuroscience - and even the spike that spiked old P.G. It's engraved. Boomy can tell you about how mad the Victorians were for collecting things, especially icky things like tumors and kidney stones and two-headed fetuses. There's one fetus skeleton here that looks like the Jack on a playing card. Seriously.
I'd also like to give a shout-out to ABB. If she is ever in Boston I hereby offer to buy her a vodka martini and a burger!


1 Comments:
Heh, one of the defining moments in my life was at the age of 12, when my sister took me through the museums of congenital deformities and parasites, at Columbia Medical School, New York. I'm not sure this is something one should really do to a 12-year-old, but once we were there I wouldn't let her leave...go figure. I'm sure this has much to do with my personality.
If you ever get a chance, you should go see it.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home