Fishy
Just when you thought it was safe to poke you head out from under the duvet, you come across something like this in the NYTimes Magazine:
Were you sorry to see Harvard's outgoing president, Lawrence Summers, attacked for saying that men and women may have different mental capacities?
He was taking seriously the notion that women, innately, have less capacity than men at the highest level of science. I think it's probably true. It's common sense if you just look at who the top scientists are.
This would be Harvey C. Mansfield, a lone gunman of neoconservatism here at my fair institution. Harvey has written a book called "Manliness". Arnold Schwartzenegger and Margaret Thatcher are manly men. Um, people.
Excuse me while I dash over to the Co-op and purchase my very own copy!
I love manly men. Just ask Springy. He is always reaching things on the top shelf and it really gets me hot. When he takes the recycling out I fling off my blouse and swoon on the futon. (This is because I'm so neat and I like "nesting" . . . Or wait, maybe since women are neat I should be taking the recycling out . . . Does neatness trump physical ineptitude? Shit! Well, he can take out the garbage, as that is manly and involves touchy the icky things whilst I embroider some doilies for the fish tank.)
Oooh, speaking of the fish tank, we've successfully cured our fish, Gordon, of "whirling disease", which is when your fish spins around and swims upside-down or sideways. Whirling diesease is caused by impaction of the swim bladder due to bacterial infection or the greedy gobbling of dehydrated fish flakes. I think it was the latter, because Gordon and Tony (the stripy, red-finned Tetras) go into a feeding frenzy when they so much as hear the lid open. They are terrible gluttons.
As per the advice of several fish websites, we fed them some mushed-up peas and Gordon got better within a few days. Apparently mushed-up peas keep fish regular, which eases the pressure on their little swim bladders. We're also giving them a course of erythromycin, just in case.
Another fishy item is that I seem to be allergic to Pad Thai, which really sucks.
Were you sorry to see Harvard's outgoing president, Lawrence Summers, attacked for saying that men and women may have different mental capacities?
He was taking seriously the notion that women, innately, have less capacity than men at the highest level of science. I think it's probably true. It's common sense if you just look at who the top scientists are.
This would be Harvey C. Mansfield, a lone gunman of neoconservatism here at my fair institution. Harvey has written a book called "Manliness". Arnold Schwartzenegger and Margaret Thatcher are manly men. Um, people.
Excuse me while I dash over to the Co-op and purchase my very own copy!
I love manly men. Just ask Springy. He is always reaching things on the top shelf and it really gets me hot. When he takes the recycling out I fling off my blouse and swoon on the futon. (This is because I'm so neat and I like "nesting" . . . Or wait, maybe since women are neat I should be taking the recycling out . . . Does neatness trump physical ineptitude? Shit! Well, he can take out the garbage, as that is manly and involves touchy the icky things whilst I embroider some doilies for the fish tank.)
Oooh, speaking of the fish tank, we've successfully cured our fish, Gordon, of "whirling disease", which is when your fish spins around and swims upside-down or sideways. Whirling diesease is caused by impaction of the swim bladder due to bacterial infection or the greedy gobbling of dehydrated fish flakes. I think it was the latter, because Gordon and Tony (the stripy, red-finned Tetras) go into a feeding frenzy when they so much as hear the lid open. They are terrible gluttons.
As per the advice of several fish websites, we fed them some mushed-up peas and Gordon got better within a few days. Apparently mushed-up peas keep fish regular, which eases the pressure on their little swim bladders. We're also giving them a course of erythromycin, just in case.
Another fishy item is that I seem to be allergic to Pad Thai, which really sucks.


6 Comments:
Allergic to phad thai?
You have my deepest sympathies. Do you have any known food allergies or is this a first for you?
Good to hear that you cured your fish though.
Joelster knows the only way into my pants is through cleaning the kitchen.
Springy knows that the only way to a clean kitchen is by cleaning the kitchen, or giving me a Look which says, "If you don't help me clean the kitchen I shall be very cross."
Into my pants is usually via the top button.
Hey! Stop emasculating me!
Sorry, I forgot the cute little winking emoticon after that last comment.
Read the NYT link.
Wow. Wotta schmuck.
Sympathy on the Pad Thai thing. It really bummed me out when I realized I could no longer eat avocados or drink black tea, so I kind of know how you feel.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home