Monday, March 06, 2006

It's So Hard Out Here For A Blamer

Did any of you, loyal readers, happen to catch any of the Oscars last night? I had a very patriarchy-hating moment when the best original song award came on, and there was a performance of, I shit thee not, "It's So Hard Out Here For A Pimp."

Poor pimps! I thought. It is soooo hard to profit from the exploitation of women. I poked my heteronormative but feminist partner and ranted for a while about how I reckoned it might be just a leetle beet harder out there for one of the "ho's" who had to suck nasty dirty cocks all night and then hand over half of her take to said tragic pimp. And this song won the best original song award! What the fuck???

(Okay, so the song admits that "taking money from a ho don't know no better" isn't exactly morally sound, but you have to listen pretty closely to the lyrics to get that. And this knowledge doesn't stop the pimps from doing exactly that in order to gas up the ole Cadillac. Then we finish with the lines "Wait I got a snow bunny, and a black girl too/You pay the right price and they'll both do you/That's the way the game goes, gotta keep it strictly pimpin/Gotta have my hustle tight, makin change off these women, yeah." Yes, quite difficult for the pimp - or shall we say the Director Of Human Resources? Puke.)

Not only that, but this stupid song featured a female vocalist, who was very good and bascially did all the work while the put-upon "pimps" went "Aw yeah, aw yeah". However, while she got to go up on stage to accept the award, did she get to say anything? Of course not. The three male writers/"singers" gave props to pretty much everybody else in the world besides their mouth-on-tits-on-legs female vocalist.

Then this morning the BBC world service gave a little run-down of the winners from last night: Best Actor, Best Picture, Best Director, Best Song, Best Foreign Film ... Notice anything missing?

Fuck me, I am a serious hater today.

4 Comments:

Blogger EthylBenzene said...

Yeah, but imagine what you'd be saying if Dolly had won. Or that horrible wispy girl with the *gack* interpretive dance number that looked like tai chi in a burning car.

Also, WTF was that thing on Charlize Theron' head? WTFWTF?

1:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate Charlize Theron.

There. I said it.

Freakin' hate her, and I didn't even see the stupid oscars. I hate her for claiming that she was an African American actress, since she moved her from South Africa. Also because she is a sucky actress.

5:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The worst of the song is that it's soooo catchy. I found myself humming it, and doing a little bump & grind dance! M

6:50 PM  
Blogger Joolya said...

I know, I have been singing it in my head all week! Ah!

11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home