Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Cream Of Wheat - Good For What Ails You

Yesterday I made the most beautiful protein standard curve ever. It was so beautiful. I doubt the subsequent Western will be nearly as beautiful. But oh well.

More tough love in lab today as my very brilliant engineer colleague practiced his job talk. There was humor, too, though. Even The Man was jokingly self-referential.

Got rather drunk last night and I thought, when I woke up this morning feeling icky, that I was just hungover. Which I was, but on top of that I think I also have the cold that felled my lab-mate last week. The first stage of a cold, before the really drippy nose and sore throat, is not totally unpleasant. The fever haze gives everything an interesting, fuzzy, inconsequential cast. I didn't think I was hungry this morning, either, but then I had a cup of vanilla cream of wheat with strawberries and muesli and it was seriously the most amazingly satisfying thing I have ever eaten.

There was much drunken trash talking after dinner last night on economists in general and Larry Summers in particular. I hope I didn't "hold forth" too much - those who have seen me drunk will know that alcohol sometimes impedes my ability not to express my every thought on a subject.

We also learned last evening, with the help of the inter-web, that Denmark is a really weird place. The Danish will refuse to discuss all personal topics, finances, or sensitive political matters with acquaintences, and ahbor compliments, but feel free to walk around naked and read porn on the bus.

Not Danish Person: So, did you get a good deal on your mortgage?
Danish Person: I would prefer to discuss with you the Danish culture.
NDP: Um, oh. How about that Little Mermaid statue? That's nice.
DP: Yes, it is nice. I admire the breasts on that statue. I masturbate frequently with that statue in mind. Have you had a satisfactory orgasm lately?
NDP: Wow. Um, well, I went to Amsterdam last month . . .
DP: I often think of the Little Mermaid when I make love to my wife.
NDP: How is your wife these days?
DP: I cannot comment on my wife, other to say that her labia resemble those of an acclaimed Danish adult film actress.
NDP: Oh, sorry . . . Uh . . . That's a nice coat.
DP: You are so rude! Why don't you go back to your own country?
NDP: Well, I would but I'm loving the socialized medicine here. And I can't get enough of those apricot Roses of the Prophet Muhammed.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/daily/2006/02/21-summers.html


!!!

holding forth on summers is a favorite pastime of mine...

1:02 PM  
Blogger luna_the_cat said...

*snerk*

Ok, I envy you your cream of wheat now.

God, that sounds like a fun day.

3:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Springy,

I find your comment about the author being killed offensive but because we have freedom of the press, something islamic countries don't have, you get to offend me. Just like the cartoons did. Deal with it.

11:31 PM  
Blogger Joolya said...

was the author _killed_ or did he/she just happen to die prior to this mess?
chill, my little watermelons, chill.

9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home