Monday, April 17, 2006

Chosen/Choosing

At the Seder last week, someone brought up an interesting point: Could "the chosen people" be interpreted as "the choosing people"? If so, that would make the distinction a lot less arbitrary (ie your personal decisions rather than the circumstances of your birth determining your relationship with the Divine). I like that idea better, although I am still neither chosen nor choosing.

I am on the guest list, though.

The idea was also bandied about, afterwards and in private, that the Jews were the Puritans of the Judeo-Christian religions. This was ammended to the proposition that the early Christians might well have been the Puritans of the Jews.

My lab is hella empty on this fine Patriots' Day. Should I wait for my serum to thaw or go see the runners and plate cells tomorrow?

Guess.

Finally, for your god-checking needs, go to GodChecker.com.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! I thought it was that the Puritans were the Jews of the Christian religion? In that they were really into covenants and chosen people and careful scriptural scholarship and logic and questioning of received opinions.

Not the hanging of witches/Quakers thing, although the Jews' punishment of adulterers/dissenters was not dissimilar. Sigh. Let anyone have too much power and they do awful things.

5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home