Tagged By Lanzamierda
Where Were You One Year Ago?
A year ago I was just getting ready to come home from Ecuador, which is a place I am considering running away to in order to avoid academic science. I will have a llama and live in the mountains and become friends with the many species of hummingbirds there.
Where Were You Five Years Ago?
In a lab at MIT, where I was a technician. I worked with a very funny woman who was doing a play on the sly. I think Springy was visiting me. Bush had just taken office, and we were all still dealing with that. I wrote about how my generation had got its own Richard Nixon, which turned out to be very prescient. I lived in the middle apartment of a Somerville triple decker (shit brown with piss yellow trim) with one very clever pothead, one very odd pothead, and a wanker pre-med from California who always turned the heat up to 85 degrees. We had oil heat, which is very expensive. My walls were painted jade and mint green and I bought a bike with my tax refund. The seat was stolen from off of my porch one night.
Where Were You Ten Years Ago?
I was rehearsing for my high school musical, in which I had a lead role ("Rosa Bud" in The Mystery of Edwin Drood), and also the JCC Senior High musical ("Miss Mazeppa" in Gypsy). I was already into college and my mom couldn't drive on account of a knee injury (she was wearing an "exoskeleton") so I had the car and I used to cut school a lot with certain bad influences ... But because I was kind of a big nerd, I usually just went to the coffee shop and read books. Occasionally I read my biology textbook. Shut up, I'm not kidding. But other times I went to have a pastry or hang out in the park. My mom's car was a 1982 Chevette Scooter called Rosie the Little Red Car. Driving Rosie was sort of like driving one of those kids' toy Batmobiles from the early 80s. I wore a lot of torn jeans and flannel shirts, although by then I was branching out a little from the grunge look. I had pretty much the same hairdo as I do now but was a bit skinnier.
Tag, you're it Brookburg, Ethyl, Luna, and Springy.
A year ago I was just getting ready to come home from Ecuador, which is a place I am considering running away to in order to avoid academic science. I will have a llama and live in the mountains and become friends with the many species of hummingbirds there.
Where Were You Five Years Ago?
In a lab at MIT, where I was a technician. I worked with a very funny woman who was doing a play on the sly. I think Springy was visiting me. Bush had just taken office, and we were all still dealing with that. I wrote about how my generation had got its own Richard Nixon, which turned out to be very prescient. I lived in the middle apartment of a Somerville triple decker (shit brown with piss yellow trim) with one very clever pothead, one very odd pothead, and a wanker pre-med from California who always turned the heat up to 85 degrees. We had oil heat, which is very expensive. My walls were painted jade and mint green and I bought a bike with my tax refund. The seat was stolen from off of my porch one night.
Where Were You Ten Years Ago?
I was rehearsing for my high school musical, in which I had a lead role ("Rosa Bud" in The Mystery of Edwin Drood), and also the JCC Senior High musical ("Miss Mazeppa" in Gypsy). I was already into college and my mom couldn't drive on account of a knee injury (she was wearing an "exoskeleton") so I had the car and I used to cut school a lot with certain bad influences ... But because I was kind of a big nerd, I usually just went to the coffee shop and read books. Occasionally I read my biology textbook. Shut up, I'm not kidding. But other times I went to have a pastry or hang out in the park. My mom's car was a 1982 Chevette Scooter called Rosie the Little Red Car. Driving Rosie was sort of like driving one of those kids' toy Batmobiles from the early 80s. I wore a lot of torn jeans and flannel shirts, although by then I was branching out a little from the grunge look. I had pretty much the same hairdo as I do now but was a bit skinnier.
Tag, you're it Brookburg, Ethyl, Luna, and Springy.


1 Comments:
One year ago ... I was preparing my paper for my transfer of status interview, where you go from being a probationary student to a full PhD student. If you succeed you can take more books out of the library. If you fail you leave or have a rethink and try again. Like PhDs themselves, transfer interviews offer a shitty reward for months of hard work and agonising. I didn't know if I was good enough to do a PhD (still don't) so was pretty nervous. I was living in Oxford and was pretty pissed off with the place.
Five years ago ... I was mucking about in Glasgow, preparing for my final exams for my undergraduate degree. I think I had probably started to work on them at this point, as they were in May. But I still spent a lot of time in the pub, which was silly of me.
Ten years ago ... I was taking my first A level modular exams in economics. I was also in the midst of a crisis brought on by suddenly realising that I had friends and that people liked me, which meant I wanted to spend all the time I could with them, and not concentrate on my A level economics exams. Around this time a friend of mine started to behave extremely oddly. She started to turn up at school drunk or on drugs. She used to run out of lessons for no apparent reason. A month later she tried to kill herself. It transpired that she was schizophrenic. After two years sectioned in a mental institute they found out what cocktail of drugs stopped the feelings of panic and the disordered thoughts. She's now working in a bookshop and training to be a counselor.
Oh no! These points of time you gave me were miserable! Usually things are OK. Maybe it has something to do with April, or perhaps things will be tough in one, five and ten years' time.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home