Friday, March 24, 2006

Life Lessons

Life Lesson # e^x: Don't add the binding buffer before the lysis buffer or your mini-prep probably will not work, even if you do see the white effluvia. Dang!

Had an interesting interaction with the cleaning guy the other evening. (Is "janitor" un-PC? I forget.) He's this guy from Jamaica, maybe a bit younger than me. (Early 20s? Although I am bad at guessing ages anymore, so really he could be anywhere from 19-40. By default I just assume everyone is 24, which seems unlikely to ever offend anyone.) I was finishing up my work day, downloading some stuff from iTunes (as you do) and he came up sweeping my bay and asked what I was listening to.

"Actually, I'm downloading The Office - for $2 I can watch it at the gym with no commercials!"

"You go to the gym every day?"

"Ha - no way - but I figure if I can watch TV I might go more often. Do you to the gym a lot?"

"Ha, no - me, the only exercize I get is this. So, what kind of music do you listen to?"

"Oh, all kinds, really. I mean, most kinds, you know. Good music. Things that have a good melody and a good baseline. Some pop, rock, classical . . . "

"You like hip-hop?"

"Yeah, I like some hip-hop. Like Talib Kweli or something, that's not just about like, 'Oh I have this nice car/and girls all want to have sex with me/and I really enjoy dancing' . . . But then, most pop music is just all, 'Oh I like this girl/but she doesn't like me/And I'm really sad about it' . . . or else, 'Oh it's so difficult/being really pretty/I'd like to have sex/and I really enjoy dancing' . . . What kind of music do you like?"

"I like reggae - you know Sean Paul?"

"Yeah, I like reggae, too. Especially when it's about something besides the various ways some dude wants to have sex with his girlfriend or whatever."

"Hey, you know, you're really funny. You're a funny person. It just goes to show."

"What?"

"That you can't tell about a person just from . . . you know . . . "

"So I'm not as boring as all the other dorky scientists here?"

"Haha, well, yeah, kinda."

"Thanks!"

"What's your name?"

"Joolya. What's yours? Oh, it's on your nametag. I always am losing my nametag."

"You have a good night, now."

"You too."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home