Am I Just Bitter?
Do you have one of those friends about whom you think: god, i'm glad she is my friend or else i would really hate her?
I have this friend, we shall call her Q, who is fit, pretty, has a nice boyfriend, and on top of this works very hard in the lab and is having a stellar graduate career. Q was complaining about how she's just got too much data, and too many experiments going. Sadly, there are a number of people (like moi) who would give a kidney to have such "problems". I know she doesn't mean to be cruel or tactless - this took a couple of years to be sure about; for a while I wondered if she might be a huge bitch, but no, she just says whatever she is thinking. She's actually a very kind and good-natured person, and she works very diligently, which is why I don't begrudge her success. Really I don't!
But there's just so much, "It's so hard, I have enough data for three papers, at least one top-tier journal paper, but my advisor doesn't want to publish yet because the patent we wrote for this drug target has only just been submitted!"
All this she says while she dries her perfect hair in her perfect cute top with her perfect data ....
I think I get extra super friend-points for not clubbing her to death with the hair dryer right then and there.


1 Comments:
Oh, she's one of those students. If you snapped and actually clubbed her to death, no jury in the country would find you guilty.
However, I've found the following conversation gets my point across and keeps me out of jail:
Successful grad student: I have too much data, poor me.
Me: Blah, blah, blah, look at all my stupid data . . . now shut the hell up.
Try it, it's surprisingly satisfying.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home