Sunday, September 23, 2007

Urban Wildlife Update

I was walking across the BU bridge today and stopped to look down at the river, which was muddy green and wrinkled as a prune with little wavelets. As I stared down, a big dark fish leapt up in a whale-like arc and flopped back down into the water! How about that? I thought. Was that really a fish? The fish are jumpin and the cotton is high ... I thought about when Tilda and I went camping in the Olympics in Washington and I swam across Bear Lake. Great fat black fish kept jumping up to nab at passing insects and ploinking back into the still water, whose mirror surface was almost black in the long Western twilight. As I reminisced, another fish (or maybe the same one) leapt out of the river close to the othre bank; so it was definitely jumping fish I saw today, which I have never seen before in the dirty dirty Charles.

In other news, giving group meeting on Tuesday. Vague hope that I will be hit by a taxi tomorrow (settlement plus postponement of presentation! cha-ching!). Have I started making my ppt slides yet? No, I have not. Did I know this was going to happen? Yes, I did. Do I regret watching all of North and South: Book Two on DVD yesterday? Not really ... (oh, the Hazards and the Mains, dastardly Elkanah Bent, crazy Virgilia, that stirring soundtrack ...)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes in life it is nice to wander along and be suprised and pleased by what nature offers as a spectacle, the other day I was walking down the garden through the garden seating and a hawk or some bird of prey was just sat on a chair (the back, I do not mean it was sat there reading a news paper or anything), it was magnificent to see, nature reminding me that there is a whole world of possibilities out there.

5:44 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home