Thursday, November 15, 2007

Please Step Away From the Bench

Had a meeting with my advisor today (that sound you heard before was the furious scramble of me converting cryptic IPLab image files to tifs) wherein he told me to STOP doing experiments.

Oh, but that means I have to start writing up.

This is good news. Obviously writing up is good news, and he thinks what I've got is just about "done". Of course, since it's my story I will never think it's done. I want to include every single fascinating scene - I mean, experiment - and every single beloved character - I mean, tangential potentially important molecule.

He's right, of course, but this is all getting a little scary. I mean, how do I know I am ready to move on?

The cliches ... I thought, every step of this arduous journey, "It'll be different for me! I won't become a jaded bitter third year. I won't get so bogged down in my lab that my social life declines. I won't lose the ability to interact with non-scientists. I won't develop bad eating and sleeping habits. And I certainly won't stall out at the writing-up stage because I've found a comfy berth and am a little petrified of leaving the nest!"

Strike every single one of those things off the list, because I succumbed to them all. Ah, so naive, little G1 Joolya.

8 Comments:

Blogger Unbalanced Reaction said...

I thought it would be so easy to leave the nest, but it's turning out to be harder to cut the cord than anticipated!!

9:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, now you get to start the *HARD* part...! Lucky!

Buck up, you know you'll manage.

--Luna_the_cat

3:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats. Now you just have to pass through the last level of the video game of gradschool - the thesis. Like all good video games, you'll eventually beat the crap out of that last monster, but it will take you many sleepless nights - and no, it won't be different for you.

3:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My best wishes for your future. Though its feel bad to move on, but its the way life it goes. Hope to see you here at least after sometime...
Breakdown Insurance

5:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All the best in your future undertakings. It's up to you to decide your future. You're on your own now.

From a DNA testing enthusiasts.

12:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought when reading the post that life is harder than that and most of us succumb to these things no matter what career choice or path we are on, it is easy to think we can control the things around us but we get to busy and they begin to control us.

5:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is a lot buff about leaving the nest, the decision should be based on what is best for the individual, I know quite a few people that still live with their families and one of my friends his two brothers and his sister (in their forties) still live with their parents.

5:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have kept a record of my days with a tesco digital camera I am in the process of writing the notes to put them up.

8:01 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home