Saturday, October 01, 2005

Nineties Fashion Update: Coffee shop woman was wearing a white t-shirt under a pink long-sleeved waffle knit shirt, under a pair of overalls. That's right. Dickie's overalls, with the pale pinstripey aspect.

How can this trend possibly continue? Revamping the 60s a second time? Vintage 70s with vintage 90s twist in the year 2012? Fuck it, let's bust out the hoop skirts. I guess there is only so much ya can do with the old pants, skirts, and shirts thing, until we are all wearing unitard jumpsuits like in Star Trek TNG.

I saw "Proof" last night. It was quite good. Hey, kids, look! Math is hot!!!

Advisor pooped on my head last evening but it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I don't know why I even bother to write anything, though, if he's just going to change it all. Why not just let him write the damn thing and save us both the trouble? My step-dad does a funny riff about this type of thing.

Boss: Bring me a stone!

Employee goes outside, picks up stone, brings to boss.

Employee: Here you go, sir.

Boss: Not this stone! Bring me a round stone!

Employee goes outside, picks up rounder stone, brings to boss.

Boss: That's not the right stone! Bring me a hard stone!

Employee stomps outside, selects a hard, round stone, brings to boss.

Boss: No, no, no, this stone is all wrong. Bring me a stone!

Ad infinitum.

It's funnier when he does it. But that is what I feel like sometimes. All right, I mean, I know he means well and it's better his way (mostly). But . . . but . . . aaargh!!!!! And then I feel like, Shit - if I were in any way clever or good at this I would have known the properties of the stone I was to have brought before I brought the wrong one so many times.

What he does, my inestimable advisor, is poop on my head and then give me a pep talk about how well I am doing. He beats me and then gives me flowers. "I only hit you because I love you, little graduate student!" And in a sense, it's better that he beat me up than I go out into the big cold world and other people's advisors beat me up when I'm not ready for it. Tough love. Thick skin. I fucking hate academic science.*

*Not true, I love it, but this part is not my favorite part.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home