Friday, November 25, 2005

Chinese Thanksgiving

As I just got back from a jaunt abroad, I couldn't really justify going home for Thanksgiving again this year. Not a huge loss; it's just a day of eating too much and football on TV and stores not open and frustrated expectations of warm fuzzy family fun and unpleasant associations.

Instead, I went through my closet and made a big pile of clothing rejects. Then I ventured out into the cold up to the Somerville/Medford line to my friend China's apartment, where I had a Fun Old-Fashioned Chinese Thanksgiving with China, his (also Chinese) roommate, roommate's not-so-much-with-the-English-speaking parents, and Anglo-Chinese girl visiting from London. China is an odd duck but good-hearted - he gave me all the scoop about my capoeira group (which I haven't been to in six months). English girl and I agreed, upon hearing about a certain capoeirista who was drummed out of the roda for smacking a girlfriend around, that we'd almost relish being hit by a man just so that we could have the opportunity of mauling someone who really deserved it. China doubted we would be able to do much mauling (as we're both under 5 and a half feet and added together probably only just above 200 lbs) but I said that I would wait till he was sleeping or else I would twist his balls and glass him in the face. English girl offered to maul China as a demonstration but he declined.

I was a little trepidatious about a) leaving my apartment on Thanksgiving and b) imposing on Chinese Thanksgiving, but it was a nice evening.

The food was copious and pretty tasty. Dinner was all your basic Thanksgiving foods - turkey, stuffing, potatos, corn - but dessert was a mix of store-bought pies and home-made Chinese tofu custards. Chinese mom cracked me up and China kept pretending that he couldn't understand what the English girl was saying. After the parents went home we watched a Korean film which I kept falling asleep during, but didn't really miss much. When I went to the bathroom before going back out into the frosty wind I saw myself in the mirror and my pointy nose and wavy brown hair looked strange and surprising.

Two more days of Holiday Weekend of Blah to get through. I think I'm coming down with something. Deceptively sunny today but all the puddles are frozen. Lab is at about 25% capacity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home