Evolution of Procrastination
Linked here is a terrific evolution post from the inestimable PZ Myers. It begins:
Here's some very cool news: scientists have directly observed the evolution of a complex, polygenic, polyphenic trait by genetic assimilation and accommodation in the laboratory. This is important, because it is simultaneously yet another demonstration of the fact of evolution, and an exploration of mechanisms of evolution—showing that evolution is more sophisticated than changes in the coding sequences of individual genes spreading through a population, but is also a consequence of the accumulation of masked variation, synergistic interactions between different alleles and the environment, and perhaps most importantly, changes in gene regulation.
Instead of reading PZ, though, I should be writing my wee paragraph for our whole-lab-team-effort methods review. It's open on the desktop and I've got a bag full of papers to cite as well as my hard drive with salvaged Endnote libraries. (PC still out of service.) But, eh, it's not even lunchtime yet! Right?
Oh, shuddup.
Dude - but I don't know how cable TV expects me to get to work on time if it persists in showing not only Quantum Leap but A Mighty Wind during the breakfasting hours. Previous to cable, I was hamstrung only by Sagwa the Chinese Siamese Cat, Starting Over, and (when I had reception) El Clon on Telemundo. I never totally figured out what was going on in El Clon but it was still a damn riveting show.
Speaking of science (we were? yes, we were) here is another PZ link - although it may be a conflict of interest for me to post about this particular pharma company in the future. Researchers are such whores. We try and pretend it's not true, but I know I can't fit a confocal 'scope in my living room . . .
Here's some very cool news: scientists have directly observed the evolution of a complex, polygenic, polyphenic trait by genetic assimilation and accommodation in the laboratory. This is important, because it is simultaneously yet another demonstration of the fact of evolution, and an exploration of mechanisms of evolution—showing that evolution is more sophisticated than changes in the coding sequences of individual genes spreading through a population, but is also a consequence of the accumulation of masked variation, synergistic interactions between different alleles and the environment, and perhaps most importantly, changes in gene regulation.
Instead of reading PZ, though, I should be writing my wee paragraph for our whole-lab-team-effort methods review. It's open on the desktop and I've got a bag full of papers to cite as well as my hard drive with salvaged Endnote libraries. (PC still out of service.) But, eh, it's not even lunchtime yet! Right?
Oh, shuddup.
Dude - but I don't know how cable TV expects me to get to work on time if it persists in showing not only Quantum Leap but A Mighty Wind during the breakfasting hours. Previous to cable, I was hamstrung only by Sagwa the Chinese Siamese Cat, Starting Over, and (when I had reception) El Clon on Telemundo. I never totally figured out what was going on in El Clon but it was still a damn riveting show.
Speaking of science (we were? yes, we were) here is another PZ link - although it may be a conflict of interest for me to post about this particular pharma company in the future. Researchers are such whores. We try and pretend it's not true, but I know I can't fit a confocal 'scope in my living room . . .


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home