Classic Films
It seems that everyone who liked one of my favorite films as a kid also liked all of my other favorite films as a kid. They are the following, and betray my basic inherent nerdhood:
The Dark Crystal
Labyrinth
Flight of Dragons
The Last Unicorn
The Neverending Story
I wish I could go back in time and show my nine-year-old self Spirited Away so that it could be on that list. I rented it a while back and watched it twice.
I would also like to add that Muppets can kick CGI ass any day of the week, with the possible exception of Gollum.
Also on my fave films as a kid list, but not necessarily in the muppet/animated genre are:
Dirty Dancing
The Big Chill
Clue
Jesus Christ Superstar
Fiddler On The Roof
Yentl
Grease
The Princess Bride
When Harry Met Sally
I bring this up because I just ordered Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal on DVD. And guess what? Amazon sells them together! This is how I know that one's taste in childhood films cleaves to a certain stereotype.
The other day my mom referenced the Skeksis and unleased a flood of nostalgia and a yen to see that little dog thing, Fizzgig, as well as David Bowie in a pirate shirt and leather pants. Even at age 8 I thought that was super hot. If I'd been Sarah (and oh, her long brown hair! her flowy white blouse! the ideal of young womanhood!) I would have 1) asked that litle worm guy why not to "go that way", 2) tried to walk along the top of the walls so I could see where I was going, 3) not ended up in the oubliette, and 4) totally made out with the Goblin King. David Bowie in a pirate shirt and leather pants, y'all.
The Dark Crystal
Labyrinth
Flight of Dragons
The Last Unicorn
The Neverending Story
I wish I could go back in time and show my nine-year-old self Spirited Away so that it could be on that list. I rented it a while back and watched it twice.
I would also like to add that Muppets can kick CGI ass any day of the week, with the possible exception of Gollum.
Also on my fave films as a kid list, but not necessarily in the muppet/animated genre are:
Dirty Dancing
The Big Chill
Clue
Jesus Christ Superstar
Fiddler On The Roof
Yentl
Grease
The Princess Bride
When Harry Met Sally
I bring this up because I just ordered Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal on DVD. And guess what? Amazon sells them together! This is how I know that one's taste in childhood films cleaves to a certain stereotype.
The other day my mom referenced the Skeksis and unleased a flood of nostalgia and a yen to see that little dog thing, Fizzgig, as well as David Bowie in a pirate shirt and leather pants. Even at age 8 I thought that was super hot. If I'd been Sarah (and oh, her long brown hair! her flowy white blouse! the ideal of young womanhood!) I would have 1) asked that litle worm guy why not to "go that way", 2) tried to walk along the top of the walls so I could see where I was going, 3) not ended up in the oubliette, and 4) totally made out with the Goblin King. David Bowie in a pirate shirt and leather pants, y'all.


2 Comments:
The Gods Must Be Crazy is also a great film from my childhood.
"... If I'd been Sarah (and oh, her long brown hair! her flowy white blouse! the ideal of young womanhood!) I would have 1) asked that litle worm guy why not to "go that way", 2) tried to walk along the top of the walls so I could see where I was going, 3) not ended up in the oubliette, and 4) totally made out with the Goblin King. David Bowie in a pirate shirt and leather pants, y'all."
Well, YEAH,, to ALL of that.
I always thought Sarah was a bit dim. I mean, really.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home