Si Se Pueden
I spotted the "off-side" rule! Hooray!
Prepare for Joolyariffic World Cup Commentary.
England played for shite against ... the first game they played, who was that? Oh yeah, Paraguay. But Paraguay were very mean and kept fouling. We don't like Paraguay. Although they have nice outfits.
Ecuador played magnificently against Costa Rica. Si se pueden, Ecuadoreanos! We like Ecuador. They had very good control of the ball, with lots of passing, rather than just chucking the ball up the pitch and praying someone would be there to recieve it as some of the "better" teams seem to do.
Everyone is going for the all-lower-case letters on the backs of their jerseys this year, as well as the funky pomo fonts. I noticed this first with Paraguay (England have stodgy ye olde fontes and capital letters) but the trend extends all the way to Iran's jerseys. The Iranians' names wrap all the way around their backs.
Will I be put on some sort of terror alert list if I mention here that the Iranian players are much, much more attractive than the Portuguese? They might be the most generally handsome team in the World Cup on the whole, but then I have a soft spot for Persia. I often play as Persia when I play Civilization. They are "scientific and expansionist". It's just a shame about the nutty clerics there making a misery for everyone, when really they ought to concentrate of playing football and having lovely flowing curly locks.
Italy versus the U.S. today, but I am going to be in lab. I don't think the U.S. have a chance of going on. Springy says if they won the World Cup "we'd never hear the end of it".
Apparently ESPN and ABC Sports have been getting about 1.6 million viewers per game, while Univision has been getting almost twice that. This could be explained by the general futbol mania of the Hispanic (or is it Latino? I am forgetting my PC manners) population, but I think it might also have something to do with the quality of the commentary and the half-time reports. The English commentary on ESPN is appallingly bad - two Americans who make the guys who do the Sox on NESN sound like Marx and Engels. ABC is a bit better (an Englishman and an Irishman) but the half-time is all ads. Univision, on the other hand, may or may not have lame commentary but my Spanish is only good enough for me to make out the odd phrase here and there (they are fast talkers). Whenever there is a goal, the Univision commentators yell, "Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool!" in a very exciting way. And their half-time show is full of exuberant fans and dancing, in the great tradition of Don Francisco y su Sabado Gigante.
I feel like we cannot be the only Anglos watching the games en espanol.
Springy asks if I am going to use the World Cup to make any broader political commentary. Readers, as it is Saturday morning, sunny and 80 degrees, and I am going to be spending the better part of the day in the microscope room, I leave the political discourse to your imaginations.
Prepare for Joolyariffic World Cup Commentary.
England played for shite against ... the first game they played, who was that? Oh yeah, Paraguay. But Paraguay were very mean and kept fouling. We don't like Paraguay. Although they have nice outfits.
Ecuador played magnificently against Costa Rica. Si se pueden, Ecuadoreanos! We like Ecuador. They had very good control of the ball, with lots of passing, rather than just chucking the ball up the pitch and praying someone would be there to recieve it as some of the "better" teams seem to do.
Everyone is going for the all-lower-case letters on the backs of their jerseys this year, as well as the funky pomo fonts. I noticed this first with Paraguay (England have stodgy ye olde fontes and capital letters) but the trend extends all the way to Iran's jerseys. The Iranians' names wrap all the way around their backs.
Will I be put on some sort of terror alert list if I mention here that the Iranian players are much, much more attractive than the Portuguese? They might be the most generally handsome team in the World Cup on the whole, but then I have a soft spot for Persia. I often play as Persia when I play Civilization. They are "scientific and expansionist". It's just a shame about the nutty clerics there making a misery for everyone, when really they ought to concentrate of playing football and having lovely flowing curly locks.
Italy versus the U.S. today, but I am going to be in lab. I don't think the U.S. have a chance of going on. Springy says if they won the World Cup "we'd never hear the end of it".
Apparently ESPN and ABC Sports have been getting about 1.6 million viewers per game, while Univision has been getting almost twice that. This could be explained by the general futbol mania of the Hispanic (or is it Latino? I am forgetting my PC manners) population, but I think it might also have something to do with the quality of the commentary and the half-time reports. The English commentary on ESPN is appallingly bad - two Americans who make the guys who do the Sox on NESN sound like Marx and Engels. ABC is a bit better (an Englishman and an Irishman) but the half-time is all ads. Univision, on the other hand, may or may not have lame commentary but my Spanish is only good enough for me to make out the odd phrase here and there (they are fast talkers). Whenever there is a goal, the Univision commentators yell, "Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool!" in a very exciting way. And their half-time show is full of exuberant fans and dancing, in the great tradition of Don Francisco y su Sabado Gigante.
I feel like we cannot be the only Anglos watching the games en espanol.
Springy asks if I am going to use the World Cup to make any broader political commentary. Readers, as it is Saturday morning, sunny and 80 degrees, and I am going to be spending the better part of the day in the microscope room, I leave the political discourse to your imaginations.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home