Sticks and stones
Since I gave group meeting last week, something like six people have asked me on seperate occasions when I am going to finish. Yesterday a former tech in the lab who is finishing a PhD in informatics this year (yes, he was a tech when I joined the lab) asked me this question within earshot of my PI!
Even worse was the double whammy sucker punch from Slightly Odd Newish Grad Student (SONGS):
"So, was that [protein I work on] stuff like, your whole project? Are you almost done?"*
Doesn't anyone know that inquiring about projected length of stay is the about the cruelest thing you can say to a G5?
It seems like an innocent question, but it is actually a sharp hooked barb of meanness and pain.
*(Struck back later with, "Oh, so, all that data looked interesting but ... you're gonna wanna do some controls ...")
Even worse was the double whammy sucker punch from Slightly Odd Newish Grad Student (SONGS):
"So, was that [protein I work on] stuff like, your whole project? Are you almost done?"*
Doesn't anyone know that inquiring about projected length of stay is the about the cruelest thing you can say to a G5?
It seems like an innocent question, but it is actually a sharp hooked barb of meanness and pain.
*(Struck back later with, "Oh, so, all that data looked interesting but ... you're gonna wanna do some controls ...")


2 Comments:
Choosing the right perfume can be difficult and because it is also considered an intimate gift buying the wrong perfume can backfire on you and get you the opposite result of that which you hoped for.
The first thing you need to do is do some homework, meaning research. Look at your lady's perfume bottles, the ones that are nearly empty will be her favorites. If there is one there that is nearly full chances are she doesn't wear it often or doesn't like it. Hint around and ask her what types of fragrances she likes and dislikes.
Humans are very sensory oriented and our sense of smell is no different. Certain perfumes can elicit strong reactions in both the wearer and the person reacting to the scent. Perfumes are made not only to attract but to also relax someone. If you aren't totally sure what kind of perfume to buy you can always play it safe and get something in the aromatherapy line. If you go this route, bear in mind that vanilla scents are considered to relax and a peppermint or lemon scent will be more stimulating.
I'm just now reading this post because I've fallen woefully behind in my blog reading due to being trapped in The Dissertation Vortex.
Had to comment because I wholeheartedly agree. It's just down right rude and slightly cruel to ask a grad student what year they are (especially if you know that they are 4+). Also, people should stop asking the whole "when you gettin' out?" question. Unless you see a flyer announcing the person's defense, it's clearly not soon enough.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home