Monday, April 02, 2007

Sexy Stephanie

Hello, loyal readers, if in fact any of you are still checking in!

Ordinarily I am a knowledge junkie. If given a choice between knowing and not knowing something, I'll almost always eat the proverbial fruit. However, I have become privy to a piece of knowledge that I wish I didn't have. This is the fact that:

There is an enormous number of dyslexic and/or visually impaired men in the Boston area who, at all hours of the day, seek to engage the services of a prostitute. Sorry, "escort".

I know this because one such Lady of the Night (and of the morning, and lunch-time, too) has got a phone number one digit different from mine, and as a result I've been fielding calls from the more stupid or careless of her would-be clients.

Estimates of the percentage of Sexy Stephanie's clientele who get her number wrong and call me instead vary (5%? 15%? 1%?) but I've gotten more than a dozen calls in the last couple of weeks "about my ad in the Phoenix". Yuck!!!

I've just been saying "Sorry, wrong number" when the punters proposition, but then I got a text message from "Jim in Quincy" and Springy texted back, "Better check the number carefully next time you want to call a hooker." Needless to say, Jim didn't text back.

I wish I did not have any idea about how many dudes who can't reliably dial a number are calling hookers. I wish I were completely ignorant about the scope of the adult services industry. But now that I'm not, I kind of want to know: Who the hell are these men? Are they just super gross or should I feel a little sorry for them? Are they deformed? Or do they have weird kinks that they don't feel comfortable sharing with non-professional women? Or are they just lazy and horny?

I guess I could ask them - I mean, I have their phone numbers.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It could be a lot worse- you could have a number that differs in only one digit from that of a popular radio station that does a lot of contests.

Or, you could, like I and my ex-housemates back in Philly did, have a number which previously belonged to an auto parts shop whose Yellow Pages entry was still being published every year although the business itself was defunct (hooray for deregulation!)

Even though our answering machine message specifically stated that "Marty's Fender and bumper" was gone, gone, gone and that we had nothing to do with car parts, people would still leave messages asking for car body parts.

This went on for three years. In fact, on the very day we moved out of that house, we got our last Marty's call.

As to finding out what's up with the guys calling "Sexy Stephanie", you might get better information by talking to an actual sex worker than by talking to clients.

6:44 PM  
Blogger Ψ*Ψ said...

An escort service's phone number was mistakenly listed as my cousin's number. Whether the business was dead or the number was printed wrong, they never found out. After a while, though, the 3AM calls for "Sweet Treats" ceased.

10:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Who the hell are these men?"

Probably just lonely guys who have never learned how to catch the interest of a woman. Probably a little more out on the risk-taking edge than most (more than me for sure) but otherwise average. If they can't meet woman socially because they were never taught how they have found that answering an ad in the Phoenix is a lot easier.

10:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I do have an old friend who spent some time in the 'business'. She told me that there were was a common theme among her clients. They usually wanted to do something that their girlfriend or wife wouldn't want to do. Plus, and this is from only one woman, they usually were, how shall I say this politely, 'under endowed'.

11:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe they are just guys who enjoy more sex than their partners, I mean from an evolutionary psycholgical perspective, men invest way less in each sex cell than women, they are evolved to be 'spermguns'....nice phrase huh! It is also a common misconception on behalf of most women that men in relationships, married etc...aren't in fact 'paying for it'. Women may not like to admit it but traditionally in most human societies they have exchanged sex for resources for millenia. Try not to see everything through societies thin veneer of 'civilisation', we are just animals underneath it.

Sorry about the calls, I've made a note of the error in my address book.

5:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think just these men can't be called the sexiest men in the world, so they are trying to feel themselves sexy with help of "escort"...I really don't know...I think that cannot be called real sex...

5:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In college my phone number was the same as he big cab companies, IF callers forgot to dial 9 to get off campus. Since most visitors who needed a cab did not know to dial 9, I got called daily. But I made lemons from lemonade and put a "red cab" sign in my red jeep and made a bunch of money driving people around claiming I was the "overflow service". Anyway, have you considered taking advantage of the same opportunity with your problem/opportunity?

12:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home