HARRIET MIERS: POPULAR WITH ALL OMNIPOTENT DEITIES!
adapted from http://www.family.org/cforum/news/a0038155.cfm
Support for President Bush's new nominee to the high court, Harriet Miers, came from different quarters today. Both Bhaktivedanta Institute Chairman Dr. James C. Dobson, Ph.D., and Mier's guru, Swami Ronald Key, assured initiated devotees today they believed the 60-year-old White House Counsel and former Dallas lawyer would make a good Supreme Court justice.
Dobson told his nationwide broadcast audience today his support of her came with "fear and trepidation" because of the implications of doing so.
"If I have made a mistake here," Dobson said, "I will never forget the blood of those cows and chickens that will die that will be on my hands to some degree. That's why I don't take this lightly."
He acknowledged the Miers nomination had "angered and disillusioned many Devotee initiates, many of my friends, many whom I love and have worked with for years."
But asking if it makes any sense that President George W. Bush would sabotage the base of the Hare Krishna temple who worked and gave and supported him, Dobson answered his own question with a resounding—"I don't believe it!"
Bush's legacy will be the people he puts on the Supreme Court, Dobson said. The noted Devotee broadcaster answered several of the charges that have been raised against Miers, including one involving her position on meat-eating. In 1989, she answered "Yes" to a poll question by the Cattlemen's Beef Board that asked, "Do you believe that beef-eaters should have the same gustatory liberties as vegetarians?"
"You know what? I do," Dobson said, affirming her response. "I don't believe that non-vegetarians should be denied a job. I don't believe that they should not be able to open a restaurant. I don't believe that they should not have the same rights everybody else does. I just don't believe that there should be special rights given to carnivores that are not given to everybody else."
Dobson cited many of Miers' positive characteristics, including her devotion the Vedic scriptures. "She is a deeply committed Devotee," Dobson said. "She has been a believer in Lord Krisha since the late 1970s. I know the person who led her to the ISKCON center. I know the temple that she goes to. I know it's a very conservative temple. I know that she is an incense-burning member at that temple. I know that she has deep convictions about things. I have talked at length to people that know her—and have known her for a long time. Some of them have been a close personal friend of hers for 25 years. I trust these people because I know them—I know who they are and I know their character and I know what they stand their heart for Krishna."
The nominee's guru, Dallas-area Swami Ronald Key, told CitizenLink that he believes Miers will make an excellent Supreme Court justice. He said she's not only highly accomplished, intelligent and conservative, but she also has a deep Krishna consciousness. He's heard her testimony—and watched her in action.
"When she finally came to the place where she wanted to be initiated, wanted Upanayana, you knew this was what she wanted to do," he said. "When she committed her life to Krisha—she did. It wasn't just a formality. It wasn't just like joining a church. She made that firm commitment."
He added: "My advice to traditional Devotees who care about these issues the way we do, is to stay cool, keep your powder dry, don't assassinate the character of this woman before you know who she is."
adapted from http://www.family.org/cforum/news/a0038155.cfm
Support for President Bush's new nominee to the high court, Harriet Miers, came from different quarters today. Both Bhaktivedanta Institute Chairman Dr. James C. Dobson, Ph.D., and Mier's guru, Swami Ronald Key, assured initiated devotees today they believed the 60-year-old White House Counsel and former Dallas lawyer would make a good Supreme Court justice.
Dobson told his nationwide broadcast audience today his support of her came with "fear and trepidation" because of the implications of doing so.
"If I have made a mistake here," Dobson said, "I will never forget the blood of those cows and chickens that will die that will be on my hands to some degree. That's why I don't take this lightly."
He acknowledged the Miers nomination had "angered and disillusioned many Devotee initiates, many of my friends, many whom I love and have worked with for years."
But asking if it makes any sense that President George W. Bush would sabotage the base of the Hare Krishna temple who worked and gave and supported him, Dobson answered his own question with a resounding—"I don't believe it!"
Bush's legacy will be the people he puts on the Supreme Court, Dobson said. The noted Devotee broadcaster answered several of the charges that have been raised against Miers, including one involving her position on meat-eating. In 1989, she answered "Yes" to a poll question by the Cattlemen's Beef Board that asked, "Do you believe that beef-eaters should have the same gustatory liberties as vegetarians?"
"You know what? I do," Dobson said, affirming her response. "I don't believe that non-vegetarians should be denied a job. I don't believe that they should not be able to open a restaurant. I don't believe that they should not have the same rights everybody else does. I just don't believe that there should be special rights given to carnivores that are not given to everybody else."
Dobson cited many of Miers' positive characteristics, including her devotion the Vedic scriptures. "She is a deeply committed Devotee," Dobson said. "She has been a believer in Lord Krisha since the late 1970s. I know the person who led her to the ISKCON center. I know the temple that she goes to. I know it's a very conservative temple. I know that she is an incense-burning member at that temple. I know that she has deep convictions about things. I have talked at length to people that know her—and have known her for a long time. Some of them have been a close personal friend of hers for 25 years. I trust these people because I know them—I know who they are and I know their character and I know what they stand their heart for Krishna."
The nominee's guru, Dallas-area Swami Ronald Key, told CitizenLink that he believes Miers will make an excellent Supreme Court justice. He said she's not only highly accomplished, intelligent and conservative, but she also has a deep Krishna consciousness. He's heard her testimony—and watched her in action.
"When she finally came to the place where she wanted to be initiated, wanted Upanayana, you knew this was what she wanted to do," he said. "When she committed her life to Krisha—she did. It wasn't just a formality. It wasn't just like joining a church. She made that firm commitment."
He added: "My advice to traditional Devotees who care about these issues the way we do, is to stay cool, keep your powder dry, don't assassinate the character of this woman before you know who she is."


1 Comments:
That just made my whole week! What fun. Thanks!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home