More On Bugs
I have been reading up on summer noise-making bugs since the great katydid hunt of two nights ago, and just this morning happened to come upon this very cool blog entry where someone did atomic force microscopy on a dead cicada wing!
Clearly this was not a 17-year cicada (misnamed as locusts by the European settlers who had never seen cicadas before). I was in Pittsburgh for two emergences of Magicicda Brood VIII. The next time they come out I will be forty. Eek! You can find a brood near you here.
See if you can distinguish these summer noise-making bugs!



cicada
cricket
katydid
grasshopper
Clearly this was not a 17-year cicada (misnamed as locusts by the European settlers who had never seen cicadas before). I was in Pittsburgh for two emergences of Magicicda Brood VIII. The next time they come out I will be forty. Eek! You can find a brood near you here.
See if you can distinguish these summer noise-making bugs!



cicadacricket
katydid
grasshopper


1 Comments:
No the images are too small.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home