87 degrees (F), 90% humidity
I know I can't complain about it being hot when I all I do all winter is complain about the cold . . . but I was compelled to buy a skirt (on sale!) on the way to work this morning because my knees were sweating. And some cologne to mask the musk of my underarms.
Lab is air conditioned, but ideally I would be at the beach all summer.
Don't bother seeing The Devil Wears Prada. The book is good for the beach or equivalent summer lounge reading, but the movie disappoints. Meryl Streep is great, but Anne Hathaway just does this whole smirky, I look sort of like Audrey Hepburn but can't actually act, thing, while wearing various outfits. Blah.
Ay adivce: Go for ice cream instead. If you're going to feel like a fat schlump this summer, better it should be because there is hot fudge dribbling down your chin than because you know would never be able to pull off those leather pants Emily Blunt was wearing.
Lab is air conditioned, but ideally I would be at the beach all summer.
Don't bother seeing The Devil Wears Prada. The book is good for the beach or equivalent summer lounge reading, but the movie disappoints. Meryl Streep is great, but Anne Hathaway just does this whole smirky, I look sort of like Audrey Hepburn but can't actually act, thing, while wearing various outfits. Blah.
Ay adivce: Go for ice cream instead. If you're going to feel like a fat schlump this summer, better it should be because there is hot fudge dribbling down your chin than because you know would never be able to pull off those leather pants Emily Blunt was wearing.


2 Comments:
I read that Rebecca Traister article on Salon.com where she makes Melanie out to be this big strong woman who we should all applaud, and Andy to be a pathetic whiner. But I don't think that was the point of the film, really. Or, at best, it flirted with that idea and then rejected it. [Ending-ruining follows] Viz. the line where Melanie says "everyone wants to be us" before getting out of the limo in Paris to a horde of paparazzi. Then Andy runs off in search of truth and happiness at the "New York Mirror". Maybe Meryl Streep was clever and tried to turn the film into something interesting by portraying Melanie as a tough but brilliant visionary who demands "excellence". But this idea flops as soon as one remembers that Melanie runs a fashion magazine; stressful and high-powered, but hardly oncological science.
The underlying reason why the film was crap, though, was because it didn't have a single good joke in it. And it tried to be all messagey, which is never funny.
Miranda, silly!
You're right, though. At least it made me feel like my pointless-ass work was less pointless and ridiculous than other people's *really* pointless-ass work. Even though very few people give a damn about my research at least no one expects me to look pretty when I go to Starbucks.
That would be funny. I could make jokes about that.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home