Friday, October 07, 2005

PKL PIX PAK PAX FAK ARF CRK CSK SHC SRC RAC RAS . . .

Cell biology is an infinite parade of three letter acronyms.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ms.PhD said...

yes, it is.

i keep hoping that there will be a coup when all the genomes are done and we will overthrow the old naming lords and rename everything intelligently, but i'm not sure if i'll live that long. it may take several decades.

3:45 PM  
Blogger Joolya said...

Well, the C. elegans crowd is certainly trying - but I think the Drosophila people are having more fun. Mammalian biologists, though, might be too diverse and cantankerous a group to ever agree, making life hard for generation upon generation of undergrads. (e.g. I learned that PKB and Akt were the same protein when I _taught_ cell biology as a grad student. Oops.)

8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home